Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What Does Your T-Shirt Mean?

    When I was a teenager, my friends and I used to go up to the custom t-shirt shop in the mall and peruse the selections of custom iron-on art. We could spend hours making the perfect selection to add a touch of our personality to our wardrobe. My favorite was a picture of a butterfly that said "If you love something let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever." Today I work in a technical field that doesn't acknowledge the term "business casual." Although we often dress in accordance with wardrobe guidelines outlined in chapter seventeen of  my book, The  30 Day Home Management Project, we work rotating shifts so one's casual Friday could be any day of the week. T-shirts and jeans are as commonly seen on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as they are on Fridays and slightly more common on  Saturday and Sundays.
    A t-shirt is like a walking adverstisement and there is always a lot of talk around the water cooler about one's selection.
I don't think I have worn a printed t-shirt to work without getting some kind of feedback. So I am very selective of which ones I will wear to work and when I wear them. For example, my "Farm Girls" t-shirt is just not ever worn to work and somedays if I am having a difficult morning I won't wear my "Jesus is always on my heart t-shirt." That is just too much pressure to snap out of my bad mood.
   On the way to work this morning, I remembered I was wearing my "Irrepressible Hope" t-shirt and that my bible study group at the time I purchased the shirt had "Purpose Driven" put on the back of our t-shirts so we could identify our group at a large convention. I was contemplating what the water cooler feedback would be about my t-shirt. When I wear my  "Financial Peace" t-shirt, it is a fairly easy dialogue with both believers and non-believers. Even if they haven't heard of Dave Ramsey, everyone has something to say about their money. But what about their purpose?
  I imagined that the water cooler talk about my t-shirt would include the question, "What does Purpose Driven mean?" So I decided I should be prepared to give an answer. The easy answer was that I got the t-shirt when my bible study group was going through a study called the "Purpose Driven Life."  Reflecting on that study several years later I wondered what did I gain from that study that has persisted? Did I retain some kind of Driving Purpose? What is it?
   The Purpose Driven Life study tried to help us each explore the questions, "Why am I here?" and "What is my purpose?" We studied God's word in search for the real meaning to life by understanding God's purposes for putting us on earth. Reflecting on the slogan on my back, "Purpose Driven," I formulated my answer, "Purpose driven means trying to live more and more like Jesus." That answer only stirred up more questions even for me, the one with the answer. "Living like Jesus, how does that work?" "What does living like Jesus look like?" Maybe I should have just worn my "Jesus is always on my heart," t-shirt.
      According to Rick Warren in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, our purpose is to worship God, be part of God's family, become more like Christ, serve God through real ministry, and live out real evangelism. How do you do that? Some may answer that I go to church, fellowship with believers in a bible study, try to love people, serve at my church, and every once in awhile I go on a mission trip. Check. I am purpose driven.
     However, I was posed with an interesting question last night, "What if you had to plan a trip to go see Jesus?" Maybe it wouldn't be much of a change for you if your relationship with Christ is confined to Sunday morning worship services and an occassional Wednesday night potluck at your fellowship. The good news is that Jesus lives close to believers and the more time you spend with him the more initmate your relationship will be. Is Jesus always on your heart? That is my purpose in life. To let Jesus live in my heart and let my heart reflect that in every aspect of my life.
     If you are purpose driven, what does your t-shirt mean?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for the feedback, Beth. I think t-shirt day at work sounds like a great idea. I was thinking it might be fun for everyone to wear their U.S. Military themed t-shirts and bring in an item to send to our military families. I think we have several co-workers with deployed service members right now. The CFC idea is good, too, although I would have them pay to vote instead of pay to wear. And then have the t-shirt with the highest votes get some kind of prize.

Post a Comment