Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ballet Conditioning: No Tutu's Required

   Ballet is defined by Dictionary.com as "a classical dance form demanding grace and precision and employing formalized steps and gestures set in intricate, flowing patterns to create expression through movement." All the girls on my street lined up on a barre or two in their  youth and participated in the formalized steps and gestures with varying degrees of grace and expression. We all thought we were ballerinas but none of us went on to make a career out of it.
   Ballet conditioning is actually all that work we did at the barre to prepare our bodies for the rigors of the ballet dance and to earn our toe shoes. Toe shoes, the coveted acheivement of all aspiring ballerinas. Ballet conditioning, done without toe shoes,
 did not mean as much to my boney little 8 year old body as it  does today. Then I often wondered what was the point of the seemingly endless repititions of Tendu and Rond de jambe. My muscles were active in those days running around the neighborhood and school yard in an endless burst of energy. After a forty year gradual decline in activity, I find muscles I haven't used in years by sheer accident in the form of  aches, sprains, and pulls. Returning to the barre and attempting these seemingly simple movements, I appreciate the importance and the benefit of that classical barre work.
   I am returning to Ballet at fifty-something to redefine my body back to a long and lean dancer's physique with a strong core that will help sustain me through my ancient of years. Many dance workouts and fitness DVDs become boring quickly as you repeat the same routines over and over again. The classical ballet system, although repetitive by design, is liberating. The moves become set in your muscle memory and you can perform them anywhere. Standing at the counter at work or waiting in line at lunch, a quick relevé or plié keeps you energized and burning calories.
   Looking for a workout that I could learn and perform to my own variety of music to keep it fresh, I investigated the dance workouts and found the Ballet conditioning DVDs. Because the dancer stands at the barre, I thought it would be easy on my joints and how hard can just standing there holding onto a bar be? I found two Ballet Conditioning DVDs: Ballet Element and Lean & Chiseled; that looked promising. However, to my surprise the standing and holding onto the barre was more challenging than I thought it would be. I have a lot more muscles that need conditioning than I did as an 8 year old. Just standing at the barre with your arms in second position creates a gravitational resistance that works and tones your arms.
   Ballet conditioning is a full body workout. Gracefully working your core as it supports your legs, glutes, and arms in precise movements designed to strengthen and tone while lengthening your spine. Lucky for me it is the "intent" of the movement that Elise Gulan claims works our inner body toning and sculpting long before the results of the movements are obvious on the outside. The intention of moving with grace is so relaxing after a busy day at work, even if the expression of grace is not yet evident on the outside.
   Is Ballet conditioning for you? If the thought of squeezing your oversized rear-end into a leotard scares you, consider the benefits of  ballet conditioning without the tutus and skimpy outfits. Put on something comfortable, no shoes required, just pull up beside a chair to get started. Ballet Conditioning, a classical strengthening system using "dance movements will help melt away fat while creating lean musculature that is still feminine and graceful (Gulan)." Reawaken your inner ballerina and sculpt a long, lean, strong body that will help you age gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment