Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Seed Starter

   I followed the directions putting the Tower Garden together with a few exceptions and advice from friends already doing the Tower Garden.
   1) I held off filling the resevoir with water until my seedlings are ready to transfer onto the tower. This was recommended because light will enter through the baskets if they are not filled and cause algae to grow in the water.
   2) Once the resevoir is filled with water I will test and set the water pump for the proper level before mixing the nutrient solution. Then I won't have to wear gloves and won't have to get my hands in the nutrient solution once. After the pump is set I will mix the solution and check and adjust the PH.
                                                        3) I decided to start with seeds in the included seed starter. I took the advice offered by the Tower Garden instructions to avoid introducing any potential diseases from potted store plants into my nutrient solution.
    I made a diagram of my seed layout in the minature seed greenhouse. I labeled what seeds I placed into each rockwool pod so that I can later place the right seedlings at the right level. I plan to put my leafy vegetables near the top and my fruiting vines near the bottom with the larger fruits near the back of the balacony so I can train them to climb on the deck rails. Now we wait for those wonderful green sprouts to appear!

1 comment:

Kimberly Brixey said...

My seedling starter didn't go so well. One big problem I had is I neglected them. They were starting to sprout when I left on vacation but were completely non existent when I got home. I debated whether to buy plants in the dirt and rinse them off of all dirt and lay them between two halves of rock wool or try Living Tower Seedlings recommended by a friend. I decided to go with Living Tower Seedlings for a $1 a plant come healthy and ready to insert into the Tower Garden pod basket. Turns out it was a great idea for busy travelers. You can gauge your shopping online to have your plants shipped on the right the day (Monday or Wednesday) to arrive when you are home to greet them. We order between trips and they arrive the second day we were back home. Perfect Timing!

Post a Comment